This grilled chicken recipe is my go-to recipe when I need something delicious, juicy and fast. This chicken pairs nicely with almost anything: Israeli salad for a fresh take, couscous for a more authentic feel, grilled vegetables for a rustic dish….The possibilities are endless. It is also the chicken I use when I want to make killer sandwiches that knocks-em’-dead. (To make a killer Moroccan chicken sandwich, simply buy the softest baguette or fresh pita you can find, add homemade hummus from my post (coming soon), Israeli salad and some homemade Harissa also available here (soon!). And if he hasn’t proposed to you yet, it will definitely come after he finishes this sandwich. Maybe surprise him at work with it ;)).
1 package deboned and deskined chicken thighs (6 pieces)
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp shawarma seasoning
pinch of salt and white pepper
1/4 cup tightly packed fresh coriander, chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
- Start by washing and drying the chicken thighs and reserve in a large bowl. I often get asked why wash the meat before you cook it? Well, because there is always bacteria on uncooked meat, especially chicken. Take care not to wash it in a sink with dirty dishes in it.
- In a small bowl, place your chopped coriander and add the cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and shawarma seasoning. Mix to combine dry ingredients.
- Add the olive oil to the dry seasoning mix and stir well.
- Add to the bowl of chicken but before you combine, squeeze the juice out of a half a lemon over it. Then stir to combine the whole thing.
- Let marinate, covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Once ready to cook, turn on your gas grill on high or set your oven to broil at 400degreesF and cook until well charred, approximately 5 minutes per side.