Sometimes, all we need is a little teriyaki…
Yield: 10 small skewers or 5 large ones
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small green bell peppers (or 1 1/2 large), diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 small red bell peppers (or 1 1/2 large), diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, diced into 1 1/2 inch wedges
- 3 heaping cups fresh pineapple, diced into 1 1/2 inch chunks (and about 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick)
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, light-brown sugar, honey, orange marmalade, grated ginger, garlic and pepper. Reserve 1 cup of sauce mixture in a bowl in refrigerator and pour remaining sauce over diced chicken in a large ziploc bag. Seal bag and place bag in a bowl (to prevent leaks) in refrigerator and allow chicken to marinate 4 hours in refrigerator.
- To prepare glaze, pour reserved 1 cup sauce into a small saucepan. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 Tbsp cold water and cornstarch, then pour cornstarch mixture into saucepan and stir. Bring sauce just to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Once mixture reaches a boil, reduce heat and allow to gently boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- To prepare skewers, using either metal skewers or water soaked wood skewers, thread the ingredients in the manner you wish.
- Grill skewers over medium heat, 12 – 16 minutes rotating once halfway through grilling, until chicken has fully cooked through. Remove from grill and brush skewers with teriyaki sauce, serve warm with cooked white or brown rice if desired.
Adapted from Cooking Classy